If you identify the following issues with your senior driver, then it is time to recommend a driving evaluation.
(1) --- Unexplained dents and dings - some that go unrepaired.
(2) --- Repeated requests to park vehicle or back out.
(3) --- Difficulty identifying proximity to home such as common roads and intersections.
(4) --- Unrealized drifting in and out of lanes and across lines even when being passed.
(5) --- Any confusion about traffic light status: green/red/yellow etc.
(6) --- Not reacting to Red light appropriately - too late.
(7) --- Unable to enter or exit vehicle without aid.
(8) --- Begins to use a walker even while getting to the vehicle and getting out.
(9) --- Uses hands to assist legs into and out of vehicle.
(10) --- Any confusion between brake/gas pedals including selecting the correct gears.
(11) --- Any sudden change in confidence (anxiety) and control or difficulty seeing at night.
(12) --- Not realizing rights of way as evidenced by traffic tickets or police request for DMV retest.
(13) --- Getting lost close to home.
(14) --- Difficulty changing lanes - unable to resolve blind spot issues.
(15) --- Frequent at fault accidents when backing or turning.
(16) --- Begins to take medications for stroke after falls and therapy with physicians.
(17) --- A recent change in eye glass prescription and one eye is much weaker or stronger than the other.